Skip to main content

Creating a linked list

 I'm working my way through the mini courses on LeetCode to understand data structures and algorithms better. I am currently on linked lists. After a few slides, I was tasked with creating a linked list. I had no idea what to do and was stuck on this problem for days. I would look at it for a bit, not know what to do, and try to work on something else, and not be able to focus on that something else because I didn't know what to do about the linked list. Meh! It was a long 3-4 days. I finally figured it out and I have to say I feel very pleased with myseld :D 

Step 1: Define a node class and a linked list class. 

Each node has a value and a pointer to the next node. There is just a single pointer here because I chose to create a singly linked list. You can also have a pointer in the reverse direction point at the previous node. That would be a doubly linked list. I also had to define my actual linked list which held the value for the head node. 


Step 2: Create a get method to get the value at a particular "index". 

I say "index" because, of course, a linked list doesn't actually have an index. What was meant was to get the index-th node in the linked list. In the problem, we are told to return -1 if a node at that "index" doesn't exist. Otherwise, the value of the node is returned. I traversed the list until I reached the index-th node and returned it. 

get method in the class MyLinkedList




Step 3 : Create a method to add a node at the head

Add a head. I think this is pretty self explanatory. An edge case I had to keep in mind - empty linked lists.

addAtHead method in the class MyLinkedList

Step 4: Add a node to the tail of the list

The edge case on this was interesting. An empty list. Which meant, that really, I was just adding a head. So that's what I did. If the list was empty, I called the addAtHead method and let it do the work of adding the node.

addAtTail method in the class MyLinkedList

Step 5: Add a node at a particular index

This took up most of my time. And a large part of it was due to me misreading the requirements. I misinterpreted it and could not understand why they wanted me to do something so ridiculous and at odds with itself. I finally realised that the only ridiculous one was me. I really did want to kick myself. Once I figured out what they were asking me to do, it was fairly smooth sailing.

addAtIndex method in the class MyLinkedList





Step 6: Delete a node at a particular "index"

Again I had to traverse the list till I reached the node to be excised. This time though, I had to stop just before the index-th node so that I can point the node before the excision to the node after the excision.

deleteAtIndex method in the class MyLinkedList

All in all, I'm pretty pleased that I figured it out. Though I can't say I like my code. I'm going to spend some time to clean it up and improve it if I can.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So long and thanks for all the fish! Part 1 of 2

I have been with the Tech Academy both as a software developer bootcamp student, as well as an employee. After my bootcamp, I was hired first as the live project instructor, and then as Live Project Director. This, I believe, gives me a unique point of view. I have absolutely no regrets and would join the bootcamp again. But there are a number of things I would do differently. What I have learnt as a former student 1. DO NOT WORK PART TIME.   I worked part-time(20-30hrs) during my bootcamp. I was up at 2.30-3.00am every day to work for several hours. I took a short nap, and then I took a 1hr bus ride down to campus. Studied for 7- 9 hours. Took a 1hr bus ride back home. Lather, rinse, repeat. I also had some family obligations. My weekends and half the summer were taken up caring for my young stepdaughter. I was completely exhausted by the end of the bootcamp and I didn't know if I could do more. Learning to program is HARD. You need to be fully focused. I am fortunate because I di...

Shortcuts

 I saw one of my colleagues do something magical. He automatically fixed the alignment of student code on Visual Studio with just 1 little keyboard shortcut. Ctrl-k, followed by D. Holding down Ctrl the entire time Sometimes shortcuts really do work and make your life better!   

Inserting data from CSV into Postgres table with Python

I've been looking into how to insert data from a CSV file into a Postgres Table with code. Turns out it's pretty simple and straightforward. I personally prefer doing it in code than with a command, but I'm not sure what is more common in the industry.  So now I should be able to load data from a CSV file into a Postgres table to create a REST API. The next step is trying to figure out how to convert that data into JSON format. 🤔