Skip to main content

Querying the database

A student wanted to join 2 tables and display the results but he was not making any headway and couldn't figure out what was wrong with his code. After some debugging via printing to the console, I realised that he was not getting any data and that's why nothing was being displayed on his template. And there was a simple reason for this, his model was not set up to allow such a query. He was joining a table that had no foreign keys to various other tables that were linked to each other rather than to the first table. 

class Players(models.Model):
PlayerName = models.CharField(max_length=100)
PlayerAddress = models.CharField(max_length=100)
PlayerEmailAddress = models.CharField(max_length=100)
PlayerPhoneNumber = models.IntegerField()
TeamID = models.ForeignKey(Team, on_delete=models.CASCADE)
Coach = models.ForeignKey(Coaches, on_delete=models.CASCADE)

I did what I always do in such situations where I encounter problems I have not seen before, I pulled his branch and started working on my own solution. I changed the table he was joining and added another foreign key to that table to ensure that I could get all the data I wanted. This small exercise made me realise just how important it is to design your database well. 

def team_home(request):
jointables= Players.objects.select_related('TeamID', 'Coach')
playerQueryset = jointables.order_by('-TeamID', 'PlayerName')
context = {'team' : playerQueryset}
return render(request, 'SoccerApp/SoccerApp_page.html', context)

Printing to the console showed me I was getting all the data I wanted to, and then it was just a matter of passing it to the template. This was fun. I really should play with the database more often!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So long and thanks for all the fish! Part 1 of 2

I have been with the Tech Academy both as a software developer bootcamp student, as well as an employee. After my bootcamp, I was hired first as the live project instructor, and then as Live Project Director. This, I believe, gives me a unique point of view. I have absolutely no regrets and would join the bootcamp again. But there are a number of things I would do differently. What I have learnt as a former student 1. DO NOT WORK PART TIME.   I worked part-time(20-30hrs) during my bootcamp. I was up at 2.30-3.00am every day to work for several hours. I took a short nap, and then I took a 1hr bus ride down to campus. Studied for 7- 9 hours. Took a 1hr bus ride back home. Lather, rinse, repeat. I also had some family obligations. My weekends and half the summer were taken up caring for my young stepdaughter. I was completely exhausted by the end of the bootcamp and I didn't know if I could do more. Learning to program is HARD. You need to be fully focused. I am fortunate because I di...

Shortcuts

 I saw one of my colleagues do something magical. He automatically fixed the alignment of student code on Visual Studio with just 1 little keyboard shortcut. Ctrl-k, followed by D. Holding down Ctrl the entire time Sometimes shortcuts really do work and make your life better!   

Inserting data from CSV into Postgres table with Python

I've been looking into how to insert data from a CSV file into a Postgres Table with code. Turns out it's pretty simple and straightforward. I personally prefer doing it in code than with a command, but I'm not sure what is more common in the industry.  So now I should be able to load data from a CSV file into a Postgres table to create a REST API. The next step is trying to figure out how to convert that data into JSON format. 🤔