This is me documenting my progress as a programmer. I foresee much excitement, much frustration and much cats. Always, cats.
Search This Blog
Hello HTML, my new friend
It's been awhile since I've blogged. I've been inspired to start it up again by listening to the Codenewbie podcast. I suppose it's a good way for me to keep track of my progress, or lack thereof. After monthsyears of searching for something new to learn, I've finally given in and started playing around with coding. I purchased a full stack web development course on Zenva several months ago and tried teaching myself. It was a real struggle. It took me a long time to get through the classes. At times, even after much googling, I wasn't sure what I was doing. So, I finally decided to take the plunge and join a bootcamp. It's been great so far. It feels really good to learn something new and challenging after so many years of just riding planet earth and drifting through space. I do worry that my investment will not bear fruit, but I suppose that it is up to me to make sure that doesn't happen. The struggle with imposter syndrome is all too real.
This is not my cat. I found it on the internet.
I have been with the Tech Academy both as a software developer bootcamp student, as well as an employee. After my bootcamp, I was hired first as the live project instructor, and then as Live Project Director. This, I believe, gives me a unique point of view. I have absolutely no regrets and would join the bootcamp again. But there are a number of things I would do differently. What I have learnt as a former student 1. DO NOT WORK PART TIME. I worked part-time(20-30hrs) during my bootcamp. I was up at 2.30-3.00am every day to work for several hours. I took a short nap, and then I took a 1hr bus ride down to campus. Studied for 7- 9 hours. Took a 1hr bus ride back home. Lather, rinse, repeat. I also had some family obligations. My weekends and half the summer were taken up caring for my young stepdaughter. I was completely exhausted by the end of the bootcamp and I didn't know if I could do more. Learning to program is HARD. You need to be fully focused. I am fortunate because I di...
I saw one of my colleagues do something magical. He automatically fixed the alignment of student code on Visual Studio with just 1 little keyboard shortcut. Ctrl-k, followed by D. Holding down Ctrl the entire time Sometimes shortcuts really do work and make your life better!
I've been looking into how to insert data from a CSV file into a Postgres Table with code. Turns out it's pretty simple and straightforward. I personally prefer doing it in code than with a command, but I'm not sure what is more common in the industry. So now I should be able to load data from a CSV file into a Postgres table to create a REST API. The next step is trying to figure out how to convert that data into JSON format. 🤔
Comments
Post a Comment